About The Ashok Club
In 1929, Late His Highness Maharaja Sawai Man Singhji-II of Jaipur , took upon himself to re-raise the Jaipur King Body Guards of the yesteryears and thus was born “Swai Man Guards” by 1931, the company strength was expanded to battalion strength . The foundation stone for the new baraccks and Officer's Mess was laid on 28th February 1935. The Sawai Man Guards saw action during World War-II and in 1947 – 1948 operations against Pakistan , earned the battle honor of “Ledigali” in Uri Sector of Kashmir.
In 1952, the “Sawai Man Guards” was amalgamated into the Indian Army. In 1954, Late His Highness Maharaja Sawai Man Singhji – II of Jaipur, on his personal request to Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru , the Prime Minister of India got “Sawai Man Guards” re-affiliated with the Rajputana Rifles. Today the unit is known as 17th Battalion the Rajputana Rifles (Sawai Man).
The barracks of the unit in Jaipur now house the Secretariat of The Rajasthan Government and the old Officers Mess of THE SAWAI MAN GUARDS is the ASHOK CLUB, JAIPUR.
Late his Highness Maharaja Sawai Man Singhji –II of Jaipur, dedicated the Ashok Club to Jaipur City with sole objective to secure a convenient and agreeable place of meeting for a society of ladies and gentlemen.
It is located in the center of Jaipur (The Pink City) near the Statue Circle, close to the B.M. Birla Science and Technological Center and right opposite the Rajasthan Government Secretariat on the Bhagwant Das Road. It has in its neighborhood , the Rajasthan High Court, the Rajasthan Polo Club, the Rambagh Golf Club and the Rambagh Palace Hotel.
Ashok Club is centrally located, at a distance of 13 kilometers from the Sanganer Airport, 5 kilometers from the Jaipur Railway Station, 5 kilometers from the Jaipur Roadways Bus Stand and 2 kilometers from the shopping centre of Mirza Ismail Road.
The Club is housed in a beautiful building with open spaces all around it. It has about a dozen staff quarters located in the club premises.
The main imposing building has a porch with in & out gates. It has a foyer, a big air conditioned and well carpeted Lounge, a large air conditioned Dinning Hall, an air conditioned Bar, a Card Room, Store Rooms, Ladies and Gents Cloak Rooms, a Billiard Room, Club Office, Two Kitchens and Pantry and a Badminton Court with vinyl coated wooden floor. It has well furnished air conditioned guest rooms.
Apart from the main building, Club has a sports complex having, Swimming Pool, Squash Court with wooden floor, and three Tennis Courts. The club has many large and small lawns all around the main building for hosting parties/functions.